|

Sunday, April 09, 2006

'Tis The Season To Be Jorry, Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra

I'm sorry if I find this funny. It's not meant to be racist, but sometimes something jumps up and bites you on the ass and you find yourself rolling on the floor. So I'm juvenile... Sue me. After speaking with a friend, (Hey "S") I found myself thinking about old songs and what they meant to me when I was growing up. So, I jotted down a few that I would like to find again. The problem with this is pretty obvious... Unless you're talking about a band that is still together, (or the Beatles) you’ll probably be S.O.L trying to find music still in print from older bands, or true one hit wonders of the 80’s at Amazon, that aren't priced at some ridiculous amount. More on that in a minute. Most of the bands I'm looking for released albums (yes, I said albums) at the beginning of the CD revolution. Put another way, they didn't last long enough to merit more than one CD pressing, if they were lucky, and no CDs if they weren't lucky. If they did manage to get a pressing, it wouldn't be more than 30,000 units. By the way, 100,000 sold is considered a gold record, and that is a difficult feat for most bands to reach. I'm sure you can also see the cost involved would be huge if you went all out promoting a band with only one song to its credit. The investment alone on printing anywhere from 20-50K CDs would be cost prohibative. So, most of the bands I'm looking for are going to be near impossible to track down. As far as one hit wonders go, I’m not talking about UB40, or A-Ha. You can find those groups on any number of “Best of the 80’s” compilations. I’m talking about groups like Double, The Judys, or The Other Ones (No, I’m not talking about the Grateful Dead spin off group). These three bands are true one hit wonders. Well, The Judys were not one hit wonders... They never had a hit, but they were a great band to see live at the Arcadia on Greenville Avenue. Anyway, my first stop in the search was Amazon. I didn’t see anything at all by The Other Ones, so I tried to find Double’s CD, Blue. Nothing was found there that was new, but they did have a seller’s section where I could buy Double's disk….. for $57.00. My WTF meter jumped into the red after seeing the price. I’m a free market guy, and I appreciate selling according to what the market will bear, but my market will not bear spending $57 plus shipping for one CD. So, being the free market guy I am, I also knew there were other avenues to pursue what I was looking for. Behold eBay, the online buyers wet dream. Stopping in at eBay I couldn’t find The Other Ones, or The Judys in CD form. They did have the Judys "Moo" record at the "buy it now price" of $147.77. No thanks. I used to own it.... I wonder where it's at now? Anyway, I did find Double, brand new, and straight from the factory... The Asian factory of Universal Music, that is. The CD was located in South Korea. Ahhhh, the wonders of the Internet. Bringing capitalism to all. And, it was listed at $17.99, a much better price considering the alternative, so I grabbed it. To get back on point here… What cracked me up was the seller’s description. I am very aware that English.. or maybe I should say Engrish, is probably not the seller’s native tongue. And I’m 100% sure he speaks better Korean than I do. But sometimes little bits of the giggles catch you when you don’t expect them to. From the seller’s page: RELEASED IN UNIVERSAL MUSIC KOREA. THIS CD IS NOT A BOOTREG CD. Bootreg!!!! You have to love it. And yes, I know this was a long story to get to a punch line. The link to the eBay seller's page is here: So Ronrey And Sadry Arone. A good sample of Captain of her Heart is here: Captain, My Captain From a review at Cdbaby.com: In the fall of 1985, Switzerland's Double started invading the world with their beautifully crafted, catchy single The Captain of Her Heart from their first album Blue. Like The Captain of Her Heart, the rest of the album is marked by Double's remarkably restrained, subtle instrumental and vocal attitude - all part of the album's distinctive approach. The sound of Double certainly has caught on. Blue has been released in more than 50 countries and The Captain of her Heart became a modern-day classic. It's a simple song, but the piano and horn make it. [Written by Felix Haug and Kurt Maloo] It was way past midnight And she still couldn't fall asleep This night the dream was leaving She tried so hard to keep And with the new days dawning She felt it driftin' away Not only for a cruise Not only for a day Too long ago, too long apart She couldn't wait another day for The captain of her heart As the day came up, she made a stop She stopped waiting another day for The captain of her heart Too long ago, too long apart She couldn't wait another day for The captain of her heart ---- Instrumental Interlude ---- Too long ago, too long apart She couldn't wait another day for The captain of her heart ---- Instrumental Interlude ---- Too long ago, too long apart She couldn't wait another day for The captain of her heart As the day came up, she made a stop She stopped waiting another day for The captain of her heart Too long ago, too long apart She couldn't wait another day for The captain of her heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counters
eXTReMe Tracker