|

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sometimes It's All About The "O". This Time, It's All About The Punks

Using "punks" in a general way... This week the links revolve around counter-culture. I should probably use the term sub-culture, since this doesn't have anything to do with Hippies, Communists, or the dirty and unwashed you see hanging around a Phish concert. 1. Apparently in the following game I’m some kind of German soccer hooligan. Set fires, throw rocks, avoid the police... You know.. just like the average European footba... I mean soccer fan.

Manchester United rules!!! Anyone who doesn't agree will taste the underside of my jackboots. 2. The little Goth girl. Have a look at the rest of the site for other offbeat toons. Death.. Despair.. Loneliness.. Admire my bleak outlook. 3. I bob my head, swirl the hair out of my eyes, and moan about my life. How to dance like a Goth. Too cool to enjoy music, I'll just stare into my coffee and ponder death. I would think Goth dancing is a joke if it weren’t for the rest of the site. How to be Goth Several items on the above link are interesting... or disturbing: News: The owner of vampirefreaks.com states on his site that “the goth scene is a very friendly, nurturing, non-violent community” How to: Big Hair: The Real Secrets. Odds and ends: The Undead Adventures of Formaldihyde Fix And best of all... Poetry of the DAMNED!!!!! 4. Despite this game, I still want to beat the crap out of mimes just because they are annoying. I consider mimes to be the parents of the Goth movement... (not really, but it fits the theme I'm going for) Pasty white make-up, always sad because no one pays attention to them... Like sedated clowns... you get the idea. Marcel Marceau is silently weeping while trying to get out of an invisible box because of this game. 5. Finally, Most Goths believe themselves to be deep thinkers, explorers of the sorrow filled world and the hidden mysteries it contains... Whatever. Here, have a look at real deep thought. A little bit of philosophy, and some junk psychology thrown in with principles of accounting 101, and you have some of the brightest minds on the human condition for over 2000 years. If a Goth cries in the woods, does anyone hear it? Ghost of Music Past This week I came across Under Construction, the early demos for The Wall by Pink Floyd. This CD is not authorized by the band, or anyone associated with them. If you have The Beatles Anthology series, you'll know what I mean when I say the songs here are the rough cuts before being polished and refined. For example: In this recording, the song Young Lust is only an instrumental, One Of My Turns sounds like Waters or Gilmour doing the voice of the girl groupie. And the most recognized song from the album, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, doesn't have the children back-up singers, but does have Waters singing the entire song sounding as crazy as Pink was supposed to have been. The greatness behind this CD is seeing and hearing the raw version of the full album, what Waters' original plan was, and how it changed in the final product to become one of the biggest selling albums in history.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rooster Cashews said...

I couldn't find a German Soccer hooligan picture I liked... Well, I do like this one:

http://cache.deadspin.com/archives/fans-in-manchester-united-jerseys.jpg

this one:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/2000/euro2000/news/2000/06/17/brussels_riots_ap/t1_hooligan_ap-01.jpg


and this one:

http://nosamieslesstars.com/images/victoria-beckham.jpg

(Yeah, I know she's not a hooligan, or German, but I bet she could be a hooligan if she wanted)

Those pictures didn't convey what I was looking for. So I had to settle for the Netherlands (hey, it's close to Germany), and a kid that will no doubt turn in to Zinedine Zidane some day.

10/06/2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Rooster Cashews said...

I'm real curious to know what was said that set him off. I heard several news agencies hired lip readers to see what was said, but I never read anything else about it.

...And Victoria Beckham gets more plastic every time I see a picture of her. She'll look like the Crypt Keeper before too long.

10/07/2006 11:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counters
eXTReMe Tracker