|

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lazy River Youtubing

Since I haven't had a decent CD to download in the last few weeks, I figured I'd try something different. Most bands put out their CDs in the spring and summer in support of tour that will make its way across the country over the following 6 months, so for someone like me that relies on usenet for free music, the selections are pretty slim when trying to find something I want. Jumping away for a moment, I do have a question about what I see on usenet right now: What the hell is Apris or Ibiza music? And who the hell listens to that crap? Is it a Euro-trash thing? My God, how much techno/trance can you take before your head explodes? What a beating! From Wikipedia: Wiki this! There also exists a genre of trance music named for Ibiza dubbed Balearic Beat, similarly to the way Goa trance is named for Goa, India. The style tries to reflect the atmosphere of Ibiza, and listeners often say they can see a Mediterranean sunset when they hear its euphoric, uplifting melodies. The atmosphere is brought on with the use of synthesized string instruments, the sound of waves, mandolins and guitars, and wispy vocals. Back to the subject... Since nothing new is coming out in the near future in terms of music that doesn't suck, I've decided to do a bit on music that I liked while I was growing up. The first video is U2's All I Want Is You from 1988's album "Rattle and Hum", the follow-up to their ground-breaking "The Joshua Tree." The song I'm zeroing in on is a marked change from the rest of the CD in tone and substance, and could even be considered a companion piece to Joshua Tree's Red Hill Mining Town. The video plays like a Federico Felini film that actually makes some sense. Shot in black and white, and dealing with circus performers, the song takes on love from afar that can never be realized. Some interesting commentary can be found on the Youtube site with people offering up varying opinions on the meaning of the video. From Youtube: Great song and video. The video is about lost love, the dwarf was in love with her and was going to ask her to marry, he went into town and bought a ring and while gone, she fell and died. The part where he falls is a dream sequence where he wishes he could go with her. But reality is he has to see her buried, as they are covering her up her gives her the ring he wanted to give her in person. and: fuck. had never seen this video before. now that i have it kills even more. this is one of the only u2 songs i like. 3:20 onward kills. when bono screams all i want is... you. Or the humorous: I think the guy was knocked off by the dwarf and he's coming back for the babe having gotten his foe out of the way! Clever little fella. and: maybe the dwarf survived and the woman died coz the woman caught him and cushioned his fall? I tend to agree with the first Youtube comment, and Bono screaming at the end reminds me (in a small way) of Brando yelling "Stella!" from "A Streetcar Named Desire." I love the song, and it gives me chills every time I hear it, but I never really thought about the video. The cinematography and performers are a perfect fit for the story. The looks passed between the two while sitting at the table speak volumes, and based on the first comment above, gives me a little more to think about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I think it is about dwarf love and obsession, no more no less.

Was he trying to smell her panties?

11/06/2006 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rooster Cashews said...

You have a strange mind.

11/06/2006 11:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Counters
eXTReMe Tracker